Thursday, March 24, 2016

Getting Green

Things are moving along, getting leaves, and some things are flowering. I love this time of year when it's not too hot and everything is so fresh and new. I thought I would update with some pictures of things growing.

My husband gave the pear tree a buzz cut, so I wasn't sure if we'd get anything growing on it this year. To my surprise, there were still lots of flowers. Hopefully at the end of summer we will have a decent amount of pears to can.


Most of our little trees grew leaves too. One plum and one cherry tree appear to be dead, so we will have to buy replacements. The blueberry plants are growing leaves as well. It's exciting to see them thriving. Don't mind all the dang grass growing behind the blueberry plant. One of these days, I will get to mulching.



The two grape vines are finally starting to get tiny leaves. There's one right in the center of this one. I was beginning to think they were duds too. I need to put up some lattice for these soon as they grow a bit more.


My husband bought me two nice sized peach trees. They had blossoms and are already starting to grow something, so maybe we'll get a few peaches off of them. I'm most excited about these. I love peaches. We have to find a nice spot to plant them now. They are still in the pots.


The fig trees have started growing too. Figs are interesting because they never grow flowers. They just grow really big leaves and then one day figs start growing. You have to pick them as soon as they are ripe too, because they either go bad fast or the birds get to them. My chickens love getting figs for a treat. I love mixing them with other berries and making jam.


I'll end the pictures with this pretty bush. It's just a flowering bush, not a fruit one, but it looks so pretty and smells so nice, I thought I'd share.


We have been slowly transplanting seedlings and planting seeds in the big garden. I'll take some pictures soon. The weeds are kicking my butt. Next year, I'm putting the pigs on it and letting them do the work during the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment